List of documents
for a Schengen visa

Documents for minors

Starting from June 13, 2019 the Consulate General of the Republic of Latvia in St. Petersburg will accept consent for a child to travel into the countries of the Schengen Agreement, which could be signed by one of the parents.


  1. Visa Application Form

  • For a minor child, the application form must be completed and signed by parents or citizens with parental (guardian) rights.
  • Filling of the application doesn’t depend on children’s age or the travel passport. In paragraph 10 of the visa application form, the data of either the parent or the trustee is indicated.
  1. Foreign passport


  • The passport must be signed

  • The passport must have a validity period of at least 3 months after the expiry of the visa.

  • The validity of the passport should not exceed 10 years. Extended passports are not accepted.

  • The foreign passport must contain at least 2 blank (blank) pages intended for visas.

  • Passports are accepted without additional covers (plastic, leather).

Persons under the age of 14 without  their own foreign passport and go under their parents' passports are issued a visa only if their parents  passport contains children’s  data and a photo is pasted and a separate application with a photo is filled in. After reaching the age of 14, the child in any case needs his or her own passport (regardless of whether it is inscribed on the parent's passport).
  1. Birth certificate (original and copy)

  • Original and copy of the birth certificate should be provided (for minors under 18 years); 
  • From the age of 14: original and a copy of the first 2 pages of national passport (page with personal data, page with information about the place of residence).
  1. Photo (1 picture)


The photo must meet the following criteria:

  • Size 3.5 x 4.5 cm, without oval, color, clear, clean and contrast,

  • The photo must be printed on high-quality paper on a white or light gray background,

  • Photos should be no more than 6 months,

  • Full frontal view photo, so that the person occupies 70-80% of the photograph.

If the applicant wears glasses, the photo must also meet the following criteria:

  • Unglazed glasses,

  • The frame should not cover any part of the eye,

  • There should be no glare.

Do not crop and stick the photo to the Application Form, it will be done for you by the employees of the visa center.


  1. Health insurance policy (copy)


  • Medical insurance with at least EUR 30,000 coverage;

  • The policy is valid in all Schengen States, typewritten;

  • No insurance deductible:

  • The Embassy accepts insurance policies issued by insurance companies of the European Agreement and European Economic Area or Russian insurance companies accredited to the Embassy;

  • If you plan to travel to Latvia once or twice, you will need to provide the appropriate medical insurance policy that covers all the intended stay, including the additional period of 15 days;

  • Single visa: the health insurance policy should include 15 additional days. For example, if a visa is requested for 10 days from June 1 to June 10, the health insurance policy must be presented from June 1 to June 25 with a policy period of 10 days.

* When issuing a multiple Schengen visa, the health insurance policy can only be granted for the first visit to the Schengen territory with an additional corridor of 15 days.


  1. Notarized consent from parental authority to leave the country (copy)

  • Consent of parental authority or legal guardian done by a notary public, only if the minor travels alone or only with one parent, he needs a notarized authorization from both parents to independently cross the border, valid in the territory of all countries of the Schengen agreement.
  • In cases of a single parent holding the parental authority alone (i.e. when the other parent has deceased or has been deprived of custody), you must provide:
  • court decision on guardianship;
  • a certificate from the orphaned court on guardianship;
  • a certificate from the police that the whereabouts of the father is unknown;
  • in case of death of the second parent, a certificate of his death.

A minor child leaving unaccompanied parents must have their own foreign passport, as well as a notarized authorization from both parents, in which the responsible person for the minor child in the Schengen countries must be indicated.

When requesting a multiple visa, the validity of the consent must be in accordance with the requested period of validity of the visa.

If the child is traveling with a third person, a copy of the accompanying visa must be enclosed.


If a parental authority or legal guardian pays for your stay in Latvia, you need to provide the following documents:

  • Sponsorship letter (sing by sponsor)
  • Bank statement or work certificate
  • Copy of 2 pages of national passport  (personal data , place of residence)
  1. Filled Consent to processing of personal data signed personally by the applicant.


  1. Supporting documents according to the purpose of the trip.